Writing news articles is quite different from writing novels, short stories, and web articles. As it is very important to keep your readers interested, informed, and entertained all at the same time, you need to follow certain format and specific writing style to succeed in this endeavor.
Here are some tips to explode your news article writing:
1. Know your audience. Just like when writing any type of reading material, it is important for you as a writer that you deeply understand the people who’ll read your articles. You must know the topics that will interest them and their preferred writing style. The more you know about these people, the better your chances of making your news stories more compelling and more targeted.
2. Writing format. There is no other way to write your news articles than using the inverted pyramid technique. As the audience you’re serving is pressed for time, it’s very important that you put everything they need to know on your first or lead paragraph. In here, you must be able to answer all their questions to help them understand your story.
3. Keep it simple. Keep in mind that writing news articles isn’t the best time to showcase your wide range of vocabulary. Above anything else, your main goal is to educate or inform your readers. This will not happen if these people are having a hard time getting the points that you’re trying to get across. So, stick with simple terms. If you need to use acronyms or technical terms to better explain your stories, ensure that you define them first before you use them in your content.
As a reporter, it’s very important that you know how to create news articles that are not only informative but impacting as well. This is to make sure that you’ll give your audience great reading experience.
Here’s how you can amplify your news article writing:
1. Learn from the experts. Make it a habit to read newspapers or news websites on a daily basis. Doing this will help you determine how exactly news articles are written and what elements can make them really attention-grabbing. If possible, solicit advice and trade secrets from veteran reporters. These should help you succeed in this field in no time.
2. Choose your topics. Write something that is newsworthy. Write about the latest news in the international and national arena. You can also write about police reports, entertainment, and sports depending on your areas of expertise and areas of interest.
3. Use catchy headlines. Keep in mind that your readers will see other stories on the same page of newspaper were your articles will be posted. To ensure that your articles will not be outshined by other stories, you must use attention-grabbing headline that will tell your readers right away what your story is all about and how it can directly affect them.
4. Use the inverted pyramid technique. This is highly recommended for news articles because the audience you’re serving are pressed for time. As they can possibly close your articles any minute, it’s important that you give them the juiciest information upfront so you can still educate them even if they close your articles too soon. Inverted pyramid technique can also help you in promoting further reading.
1. Write with clarity. As a journalist, you must fully understand that your main goal is to inform or educate the masses. This will not happen if you make your news articles very difficult to understand. So, I suggest that you keep it as simple and as clear as possible. Take into consideration the levels of comprehension of your readers and their educational background. Use the words that they’re very familiar with and their language.
2. Keep it concise. You’ve got very limited space to fill up. So, ensure that you keep your articles short and brief. You can do this by putting only the most important details on your articles and by using the most effective words in telling your stories. Beating around the bush and using fillers are big no-no’s in news article writing.
3. Offer the best information first. Use the inverted pyramid technique when writing your articles. Load up your first paragraph with every bits of information that your readers need to know to get a very clear picture of your chosen stories. You will need to do this because your audience are most likely to be pressed for time and they’ll most likely to read just the first paragraph.
4. Verify your data. You cannot afford to insert unverified data in your articles as this will surely ruin your credibility. So, take as much time as you need in making sure that all the information you have in hand are based on facts. If needed, cross reference your resources.
5. Check your articles. Ensure that your articles are flawless. All the words that you use must be spelled correctly and your grammar usage must be perfect.
As a journalist, you need to be very responsible when writing your news articles. Remember, your copies will be read by a lot of people. It’s important that you properly educate them without sensationalizing your stories and without overstretching the truth.
Here are the 3 most important tips for writing effective news articles:
1. Accuracy. As a journalist, you are in the position to influence decisions and form public opinions. People who read your articles will most likely to think in a certain way based on the information that you feed them. Thus, it’s very important to make sure that all your articles are factual. The worst thing that you can do in this endeavor is to misinform the public by distorting the truth as this can seriously damage your credibility.
2. Write simply. Writing news articles is not the same as writing academic or research papers. Don’t use big, fancy words that can make it too difficult for your readers to understand the stories that you’re covering. Give them the information concisely and quickly without using fillers or data that are not really important.
3. Writing style. Develop a writing style that will help you serve your purpose (to educate, inspire, and entertain your audience). Write your articles in such a way that you’ll be able to get your readers at the edge of their seats. Also, find ways on how you can stand out from the crowd. Remember, every article competes for readers’ attention and you need to put your best foot forward to make sure that yours will be read by your target audience.
You basically have two choices when you want to become a news article writer. It’s either you write for broadsheet or for tabloids. If you want to focus on more serious issues, broadsheets will suit your best. Here’s how you can write articles for them:
1. Choose your stories wisely. As you’re writing for broadsheets, that means that you’re serving people with higher level of education. Your articles will most likely to be read by politicians, businessmen, and young professionals. As such, you need to be very careful when choosing your stories. Your audience generally does not care about local news and police reports. They’d rather spend their precious time reading stories about the government, the economy, sports, and news from around the globe.
2. Research your stories thoroughly. Your audience expects to get complete information and nothing less. So, research your stories thoroughly and make sure that you do not leave any stone unturned. Make time to interview all people who have something to say about your story. Then, verify the information you have gathered and make sure that they are all based on facts.
3. Use captivating headlines. Get your audience to read your news articles by using compelling headlines. Using as few words as possible, tell your readers what your article is all about. Whenever possible, use terms that can evoke action or those that can push the emotional hot buttons of your target audience.
4. Use the inverted pyramid technique. Give your readers the most valuable information that they’re looking for on your first paragraph. Doing this will help you make sure that you’ll still be able to educate or inform these people even if they choose not to read your articles until the end due to time constraints.